Dinner is sorted! Ever since we put together the Spring Wellness Magazine, these Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Casey-Lee of @livelovenourishaus have been on high rotation in our kitchens.
Made with whole roasted sweet potatoes; stuffed with Mexican spiced, protein-rich black beans; and topped with deliciously creamy guacamole, this recipe is more than a crowd-pleaser, the entire dinner table will fall at your feet. I guess what we are saying is... you should definitely whip these up for dinner tonight!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
1 x 400g can black beans, drained
- 1 cup sweet cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 small red onion, diced
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- Good quality salt & pepper
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- Pinch of good quality salt
- Fresh coriander to serve
- Fresh red chilli, sliced to serve
Note: This recipe is free from gluten and dairy.
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 180’C.
- Wash and pat dry sweet potatoes. Wrap each sweet potato in foil and place on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for approx. 1 hour or until each is soft in the centre.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling and toppings.
- To make filling, heat olive oil in frying pan and add onions. Sauté over low-medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until onions are soft and fragrant. Add garlic and stir until the onions caramelise.
- Stir through cumin, paprika, oregano, coriander and black beans.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To make guacamole topping, in a mixing bowl combine mashed avocado with red onion, lime juice, cumin and salt. Adjust seasoning to liking.
- Once sweet potatoes are cooked through and cool enough to handle, remove foil and cut lengthways to create an opening, being careful not to cut the whole way through.
- Spoon filling into each sweet potato and top with salsa and avocado toppings.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and chilli.
A little note about Casey-Lee:
Passionate about inspiring others to live a healthy and happy life, naturopath and nutritionist Casey-Lee Lyons shares her healthy recipes, free from gluten, dairy and sugar, in a refreshing and simple way. Her easy-to-understand nutrition and lifestyle advice has helped many people improve their health and vitality and to live their healthiest and best life. To download her free recipe e-book or to browse through hundreds of delicious recipes visit www.livelovenourish.com.au or follow Live Love Nourish on social media.